11 June 2008

Toots & The Maytals live - Wed 18 June

TootsWhen I suggested the upcoming La-33 concert as possible gig of the year, I was of course forgetting that Toots and The Maytals are playing live at The Forum in Kentish Town this coming Wednesday (18th June).

I had the honour of DJing after their concert at Koko in Camden almost exactly two years ago and I have to say it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. The band were on top form and Toots himself was phenomenal. He still had an extremely soulful voice and to be honest didn't sound very different from the records he recorded some 40 years ago.

Not only did the group sound fantastic, but their stamina was astounding. The length of the gig and the exhaustive selection of material from their back catalogue (including both classic and obscure ska, rocksteady, reggae and even mento) had me in awe. I was particularly excited when they played a ska version of "Louie, Louie" (to my knowledge, no ska version was ever recorded in the 1960s/1970s - The Maytals recorded it as a reggae)

So, this should certainly be another night to remember. And to top it off, I've been asked by Mark Lamarr to assist him with DJ duties again.

For full details of the gig and online booking visit The Forum website here or call 0844 847 2405

NOTE: This gig is apparently open to anyone aged 14+. So for the teenage readers who keep asking me where they can go to hear good music - well the answer is: here! (just don't forget your ID)

No comments: