14 October 2009

Divas of Motown revue - Friday 13th November

Divas of Motown revue posterAn unbelievable line-up of 60s/70s soul talent comes together on Friday 13th November for a one-off show at The HMV Hammersmith Apollo.

Looking like a kind of dream Motortown Revue, the show features some of Motown's greatest female singers:

Brenda Holloway ("Every Little Bit Hurts", "When I'm Gone")
Mable John ("(I Guess There's) No Love")
Chris Clark ("Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)", "Love's Gone Bad")
Thelma Houston ("Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Don't Leave Me This Way")
Scherrie Payne & Lynda Laurence (members of The Supremes in the 70s)

All backed by the Funk Brothers band no less!

I'm not quite sure why Mable John is billed as having never played the UK before, when I saw her live at The Barbican a few years back as part of a Stax revue (and sadly wasn't too impressed by her that night I have to say), but I wouldn't miss this show if it were just Brenda Holloway or The Funk Brothers alone, so take my advice and grab yourself a ticket while they're still available!

www.hammersmithapollo.net / 08448 44 47 48

No comments: